Friday, January 18, 2008

DINNER?

A subject was approached in the news today that caught my attention. The issue at hand was cloning. There was no discussion of bringing Elvis back or of replacing the pet cat who sadly had exhausted all of his nine lives. No, the discussion instead was what was going to be showing up on our dinner plates? It was stated that "although the majority of Americans are against the cloning of beef and animals as a food source," a bill was passed that will allow for the cloning of meat. It is projected that 80% of our meat will be coming from cloned animals. Even more interesting, our Food And Drug Administration has decided that there is no need for the consumer to know the difference or the source of the meat in which we purchase. There will be no label specifying if our meat had been grown in a lab or from a pasture. Does it disturb anyone else that dinner is coming from a petrie dish?

5 comments:

Chell said...

Umm that is more than a little disturbing almost as disturbing as the fact that old school Seasame street is not suitable for children... Hmm what is the world coming to.

Shalome said...

Ha! Next thing you know they'll be cloning Big Bird then telling us it's ok to eat him! He he he... Seriously though. I could give the FDA a mouth full. Would at least like the right to know where my meat is coming from.

Barry said...

So far this isn't an issue here in Canada, but since we often follow the US lead, I'm suffering from some anticipatory disturbance.

Love your pictures, by the way! Have to come and visit some time.

Gabriel Morris said...

hi Tonya,
Hey how's it going, this is Gabe from Oregon. I'd read a comment from you on my blog but didn't notice it was you, then figured it out on your more recent comment. Unfortunately I don't have too much time while traveling to read other people's blogs, but I did check out the photos, nice. And, I uploaded some more photos to my blog, but they're on past posts so you'll have to scroll down a ways, or else click on the archive links until you find some of them. But, you will actually most likely have seen them already anyway as I'd emailed them to people already.....anyway keep on commenting and enjoy Colorado....

Shalome said...

Hey Gabe! Nice to hear from you! I've not been keeping current enough with my blogs. Ooops! I'm sure that will change once the weather warms enough to gathre some mud in my hiking boots. :) How's it going over there? Fantastic pictures by the way!