Sunday, August 5, 2007

More Bananas....

Out and about one day on a casual afternoon drive, I was captivated by some rather large windows. These windows appearning on the front of some town houses in a neighborhood that overlooked the city below. "For Sale" sounded like a reasonable invite. These windows on the town houses were grand and I'm sure offered a clear and beautiful perspective of the city below. Although I was not in the market to purchase any property my curiosity enticed me to come in. There was a bold and large surrounding metal gate that ran the length of the town house's perimeter met by a high and solid brick wall that allowed no visibility to the property within its borders. I approached the gate in my old and "hand" painted car (litterally for those who remember this page in my journey) whose make and model were so unimportant that I can't recall it anymore. I was met by a well pressed and suited man whose title said "security". I smiled and offered a warm and friendly greeting. I was surprised when he firmly asked me to turn my vehicle around making it clear that I was not welcomed nor invited behind the gates. I cooperatively pulled away feeling a bit rejected by this man and his quick assumptions. None the less, I headed back down the road along the length of its high brick walls. We are all alot alike as individuals. We are strong and independent. We put up large walls surrounding ourselves evaluating the world around us and those who approach our gates. I'm quite certain that these town houses would have been beautiful as property goes, but I couldn't help but to question those windows looking out over the city. Would the perspecitve look any different from behind the gates? Aren't we all the same at times? Do we not all desire the safety of these borders? Are our borders to keep others at a distance away from our safe place or to keep us in from the world on the other side of the fence? I gather that the walls and fences will always be a part of our society and nature. Yes, many views are available, but I don't believe that it matters which side of the gate you are on. Instinct tells me our desires are all the same. We all want the security of that guard that turns away intruders and ivites the welcomed guests in. It is my hope though that this well pressed and suited man knows me well enough to desiphre who to open the gates for, whom to close it and that he will not turn someone away on quick assumptions.

4 comments:

artbylorraine said...

He probably could tell you didn't have any money. If you were driving a BMW and dressed to the hilt, I bet he would have been so nice...sad but true, money seems to rule the world. At least this world.

CP Rambo said...

We all have walls. Some are brick... maybe some made of wood with small knot holes for people to peek in but still not enter. Our security guards are different though. I picture mine something like "Spuds Makenzie" you know a dog with Bermuda shorts. I do believe that the view from beind our various walls however differs greatly. Its what you can see from the inside that determines what passes through your gates.....

Chell said...

Even if you had the money to live in a place like that, and were looking, would you really want to be in that environment? I think the world today puts too much emphasis on appearnces and money....

Shalome said...

Thank you for all of your great and varying perspectives.... wow.. didn't know I said all of that.. lol. Yes, my intention was to relay that we all put up walls to protect us. I however was hoping to question those boundries because at times we put up walls where we need to be real or we elliminate people out of fear of rejecton or just because they look different. Thank you to all of you for your great and different perspectives!