Monday, August 13, 2007

Plastic People....

"It's a small world after all. It's a small world after all...." I can clearly visualize the little, plastic people. Their large eyes emphasizing the painted on and polished smiles. Each movement a monotonous and clearly predictable template of the last. Their deaf ear completely inanimate to the world around them. Each country represented by it's cutely pollished figures contained within it's own whimsical environment. Being an on looker within this ride's little world, I always wanted to climb out of the boat and away from the certainty of the boats predictably fixed course. The subject's intentions are clear and neatly arranged with precision. I often imagined escaping from the boundries of my boat onto the little islands and what I would do once there? Perhaps my intentions were to get a mere close up of these quaint little plastic people? More often then not, my thoughts were fixed on the idea of rearranging their little worlds. I often wondered what the onlookers would think if they were to approach the ride and see the cute little dutch girl hanging out with a member of the Motley Crue or the Chinese little boy dressed in drag and singing to a beat of his own? Don't get me wrong, I am all for the encouragement of a world where everyone can sing in unity. What I find myslef perplexed by is the accepted tune we all appear subconsciously assingned and expected to fit within. We all hear the tune. Everyone seems happy as long as the plastic little people all line up in neat little rows. I find that the song is unanimous as long as we stick to it's notes. But what if the little drummer boy was smiling because he heard a different tune? Maybe there is something more within the small world of this ride? What if for once we climbed out of our predictable boat and listened to the tune? Within that tune and amongst the line up of smiling faces is a voice to be heard. It may be unpredictable or in a different language but it's desire is to be heard all the same. Can we be capeable of hearing more then one tune? Or will we settle with the monotony of it's repeated verse turning our deaf ear to it?

4 comments:

Chell said...

Your title totally made me think of some people I work with. they seem to lack personality and the ability to think creatively. I often feel trapped into the mold of linear thinking and wish I could break out of the mold and be more creative. The world needs the people that like to mix things up and question why we do things the way we do...

CP Rambo said...

Does "Hairdresser on Fire" fit in here anywhere? Hehe just checking. The ride itself once I was old enough to know better kinda makes me think of Communism.... that might not make sense but everyone having what they need to make them happy all singing the same tune no one with more than the other... oh wait communism does not really work... Yea believe me I get what your saying but I don't think I should write the book here. Linear thinking (ala Chell) was a great descriptor of the all to common current trend in right and wrong and perfect and flawed .... ahhh I am making no sense here... besides I always liked the Pirates of the Carribean ride much better

artbylorraine said...

Yeah, I remember those bright eyed cute little plastic people. Today they will probably have two boy dolls kissing. Either that or one of those top heavy girl dolls with plastic implants.

Shalome said...

Thank you for all of your comments. I really need to learn the art of skipping the blog when I'm irritated. Otherwise all of the plastic toys and bobbleheads are going to start taking me personally. REVENGE OF THE TOYS! Hairdresser on fire.. Of course silly! Just got to let me sing along! Chell... how nice to see you again!